We have a great discussion going on ELT Professionals LinkedIN where teachers recommend songs for teaching. Some of them got me thinking about how I most often used songs in my teaching.
Most often, I use songs to either introduce a topic but also to introduce a “sensitive” topic or one about a personal, social or global issue. They are great at getting students thinking about things we usually don’t and for prompting discussion.
So here are off the top of my head, some songs I’ve used. Not meant to be an authoritative list but to get us teachers thinking. All have resources available for members of EFL Classroom 2.0. See all our lyric listening resources/printables.
I’d love to hear your own additions to this list of “sensitive” songs.
1. Imagine (just blogged about it!) – about world peace.
2. 38 years old. Tragically Hip. – about relationships, life, crime
3. Broken English. Maryanne Faithful. – introduce talking about language use
4. I heard it through the grapevine. Marvin Gaye. – discuss gossip/gossiping
5. Do they know its Christmas? – discuss poverty, inequality.
6. All The Answers. – Raul Midon. – introduce technology, how it affects learning.
7. I don’t like Mondays. Boomtown Rats. – discuss likes/dislikes, suicide
8. Slave to the wage. Placebo. – talk about work, McJobs, careers, future
9. Father and Son. Cat Stevens. – parenthood, relationships
10. Beds are burning. Midnight Oil. – earth, climate, environment
11. He’s a good dog. Fred Eaglesmith. – dogs, death, animals
12. My name is Luka. Suzanne Vega. – child abuse, children’s aid
13. The River. Bruce Springsteen. – life, career, time, change, regrets
14. Waiting on the world to change. John Mayer. – change, protest, world problems
15. I only ask of God – Outlandish. – world issues, war, politics
This topic wouldn’t be complete without Pete Seeger. Here’s a version I subtitled and use with teachers to get them thinking about the purpose and objective of school / education.
Also published on Medium.
Never miss a thing! Subscribe. We'll never spam you!
All the "buzz", news, products, people, resources related to English language teaching